City of Fresno Recommends Protecting Water Pipes During Freezing Temperatures

FRESNO, CA  – When the weather drops to freezing temperatures, water in exposed pipes expands. If the water expands too much, the pipe can burst. Here are some practical measures homeowners can take to safeguard against frozen water pipes and prevent costly plumbing damage.

Water Pipes and Hoses

  • Remove hoses from outside faucets. Shut off water faucets and drain hoses. Leave hoses hanging or store someplace with a constant temperature. This will prolong the life of the hoses.
  • Most in-ground sprinkler pipes will be okay, but if there are any exposed valves or pipes around your home (those most susceptible to freezing), tape them up with insulating materials including rags, newspapers or electric heat tape. Cover the insulation with plastic and tie with string or wire.
  • Check your irrigation system and turn off or adjust all irrigation run times and spray patterns to avoid creating overspray where dangerous ice could form in the morning or evenings. Do your part to reduce the potential for accidents and liability caused by ice from your irrigation system.


  • Once freezing weather hits, most plants become dormant and their water requirements are low.
  • Cover plant life with burlap, a blanket or polymer sleeves made for plants.
  • Cover smaller plants with mini-greenhouses or ventilated plastic covers.
  • Use mulch at the base of plants to protect roots.

Winter Water Regulations

Follow City of Fresno Winter watering rules. Addresses ending in odd numbers, water only on Saturdays. Addresses ending in even numbers, water only on Sundays. There is no watering between 9 A.M. and 6 P.M. As the weather cools, there is little or no need for watering. Water Conservation Representatives are available to visit customers and show them how to reset a sprinkler timer. Call (559) 621-5480 to schedule an appointment.

To report water main leaks or to have water shut off for repair leaks on property, please contact the Water Division at (559) 621-5300 or call (559) 621-CITY (2489).