Mayor Ashley Swearengin today announced the winners of the City’s 2016 Historic Preservation awards which honor individuals and community groups who have demonstrated excellence in the restoration of a historic building or leadership in preservation planning and neighborhood revitalization.
The winners will be recognized at a ceremony at the Fresno City Council meeting on Thursday, December 15 at 1:30 p.m. Nominations for the awards were solicited from the public and staff and reviewed by a panel prior to submission to the Mayor for approval.
The winners are:
- Outstanding Rehabilitation of a Residential Property: Steve Walter for the restoration of the circa 1902 American Foursquare style home located at 934 E. Mildreda; and AFREI LLC for the restoration of the circa 1902 Neoclassical cottage located at 1320 P Street.
- Adaptive Reuse of a Historic Property: Jake Soberal, Will Dyck and Henderson Architectural Group for the rehabilitation and adaptive reuse of the James Phelan Building (1914, HP#159) at 700 Van Ness for Bitwise South Stadium.
- Outstanding Rehabilitation of a Non-Residential Property: Reza Assemi for the restoration of the PGE (Theatre 3) Building (1926, HP#164).
- Best In-Fill Building Project: Terance Frazier, Marvin Armstrong, Kiel Schmidt and the Fresno Housing Authority for 541 at South Tower.
- Community Preservation Award, Individual: Three individuals recognized for their contributions to their respective neighborhoods or communities include Patricia Haun (South Van Ness Industrial District), John Walker (The Fresno Bee) and Tim Schulz (Revive Industries).
- Community Preservation Award, Group: The City’s Historic Preservation “Swat Team” (Howard Lacy, Jesse Morrison and Kevin Watkins); and Edward Smith and the Fresno County Bicycle Coalition, for their co-sponsorship since 2005 of Bike Through History.
- Horizon Award: Christopher Rocha for his website and advocacy for the preservation of the Hotel Fresno.
- The Russell and Pat Fey Memorial Preservationist of the Year Award: Robert Boro, Landscape Architect for leadership and support of numerous historic and cultural causes over the past 25 years.
- February 2018 (1)
- January 2018 (10)
- December 2017 (5)
- November 2017 (8)
- October 2017 (7)
- September 2017 (3)
- August 2017 (1)
- July 2017 (4)
- June 2017 (7)
- May 2017 (10)
- April 2017 (5)
- March 2017 (4)
- February 2017 (7)
- January 2017 (5)
- December 2016 (5)
- November 2016 (6)
- October 2016 (2)
- September 2016 (2)
- August 2016 (7)