Mobilehome Parks

Image for Mobilehome Parks found at: child-Page-Headerblock_34d67a498af0e95384f364b4ef5bb9f6

On July 1, 2021, the City assumed the responsibility for enforcement of California’s Mobilehome Park Act at all mobilehome parks located within the city limits. This is a significant step forward in the effort to preserve Fresno’s housing stock through our mobilehome parks proactive maintenance inspection program. The program identifies substandard housing violations and ensures rental housing meets minimum health and safety standards. In addition, the program serves to safeguard and preserve the housing stock of decent, safe and sanitary residential rental units within our mobilehome communities. Further, the program ensures residents in mobilehome communities receive prompt response to complaints within these communities.

Complaint Based Inspections

The City of Fresno investigates all complaints alleging violations of the Mobilehome Parks Act. To make a complaint, please call Code Enforcement at (559) 621-8400 or fill out the form below.

Mobilehomes Complaint Form
Reporting Party Name
Reporting Party Name
Reporting Party Address
Reporting Party Address
Address of Alleged Violation
Address of Alleged Violation

Common Violations

1. Permits

Installation, construction, or alteration of the following requires a permit from the City of Fresno or the California Department of Housing and Community Development:

  • A mobilehome within the park.
  • any accessory building, or structure, including porches awnings or room additions.
  • any storage cabinet exceeding 120 square feet.
  • any electrical, mechanical, or plumbing equipment.
  • any fuel gas equipment.

2. Address Identification

Every lot must be identified by letters, numbers, or street address numbers, in a conspicuous location facing the roadway.

3. Debris and Combustible Storage

All areas within a mobilehome park must be free of accumulations of refuse, garbage, combustible debris such as paper, leaves, dry grass, scrap wood, or other combustible materials.

4. Animals

Domestic animals, including cats, shall not roam free in the park, and the lot shall be maintained and reasonably cleaned of domestic animal waste.

5. Appliances

  • Appliances located outside of a unit must be protected from the weather. Locating them under an awning is not acceptable. They must be in some type of enclosure.
  • Electrical power to an outdoor appliance must be provided only through a permanent wiring means; extension cords are not permitted.

6. Exits

  • Every exit door on the mobilehome unit must have properly installed stairs, ramps, and/or landings which comply with the Department’s regulations.

7. Stairways

  • Stairways at each required exit door must be safe and stable.
  • The risers of the stairways shall not exceed 7 and ¾ inches in height. Risers shall not vary by more than ¾ inches.
  • The stairway treads shall not be less than 10 inches in depth. Treads shall not vary by more than ¾ inches.
  • The stairway width shall not be less than the width of the door.
  • Recently constructed stairs much comply with the California Residential Code (CRC) requirements.

8. General Accessory Structure Requirements (Awnings, Carports, Decks and Porches)

  • Missing, damaged, or unanchored supports must be repaired.
  • Combustible accessory structures must be a minimum of 3 feet from the lot line and a minimum of 6 feet from any combustible unit, accessory building, structure, or building component on an adjacent lot.
  • Awnings and carports may extend to the lot line which borders a roadway.
  • Wooden awnings and carports must be free standing or have a permit for the attachment to the unit.
  • Metal awnings and carports shall not project over the lot line.
  • All non-combustible accessory structures must maintain a minimum 3 feet from any unit, accessory building, or structure on an adjacent lot.
  • The structure must be sound and in good condition.

9. Awning or Carport Enclosure

  • Awning enclosures are only permitted for outdoor recreational use.
  • Any combustible structural components of the enclosure must be a minimum of 3 feet from a lot line except when the awning enclosure borders a roadway or common area.
  • Awning enclosures or carports must be free standing and not attached to the mobilehome unit.
  • The structures shall not project over the lot line.
  • Any electrical equipment installed must be suitable for damp location.
  • The enclosure must be structurally sound.

10. Cabana or Room Additions

  • The structure must meet minimum standards for weather, protection, electrical wiring, plumbing, and structural integrity.
  • There must be at least a 3-foot separation to the lot line.

11. Storage Cabinets or Sheds

  • The storage cabinet or shed must be structurally sound.
  • The structure must not be installed within 3 feet of a lot line except when the lot line borders a park roadway or common area.
  • Storage sheds or cabinets exceeding 120 square feet in dimension must have a permit.

For more information, see the MPM Residential Booklet

For more information, see the MPM Residential Booklet (Spanish)

Maintenance Inspections

The City of Fresno conducts Mobilehome Park Maintenance (MPM) inspections to ensure compliance with health and safety laws. Inspections include the general areas, buildings, equipment, and utility systems of mobilehome parks, each individual lot, and the exterior portions of individual manufactured homes and mobilehomes in each park inspected.

When a “Notice of Planned Inspection” has been posted in a conspicuous location within the mobilehome park, the inspection will be conducted within 30 to 60 days of the “date posted” shown on the Notice of Planned Inspection. At least 30 days prior to the inspection of the mobilehome park, an individual written notice of the inspection will be provided to each resident.

For additional resources and information regarding inspections, violations, and code requirements, please refer to the MPM Residential Booklet here. You may also click below to view a video produced by HCD, designed to help park owners and residents living in a park that has been selected prepare for the MPM inspection.

• Help with Your Mobilehome Park Maintenance Inspection by HCD video

• Video Ayuda con la inspección de mantenimiento del parque de casas móviles de HCD

Building Permits

The City of Fresno’s Building and Safety Division is responsible for issuing and approving construction permits within mobilehome parks for the following:

  • Any accessory building, or structure, including porches awnings or room additions.
  • Any storage cabinet exceeding 120 square feet.
  • Any electrical, mechanical, or plumbing equipment outside of the mobilehome unit itself.
  • Any fuel gas equipment outside of the mobilehome unit itself.

Permits from the City of Fresno can be applied for through the online FAASTER system here.

Preapproved plans for some accessory structures can be found here.

The California Department of Housing and Community Development, Building Standards Division (HCD) is responsible for issuing and approving construction permits within mobilehome parks for the following:

  • A mobilehome unit within the mobilehome park

Permits from HCD can be applied for by filling out HCD Form 415 and submitting it to HCD via email to [email protected].

Permits to Operate

Mobilehome and special occupancy (RV) parks are required to have an active Permit to operate and collect rent from residents.

A park must secure a permit to operate prior to operating a mobilehome park. The park owner is subject to penalties for failure to submit a permit application, Form 500 Equivalent (PDF) more than 30 days after the due date.

Permit to Operate related fees (PTO fees, penalties, change of operator, etc.) can be paid online here. You must have your Account Number and Web Security Code to make a payment online. This information can be found on your billing summary or by contacting the City of Fresno Business Tax & Permits Division. Please contact [email protected] or (559) 621-6878 for more details.

Web Renewals Permit Payment

Fire Hydrant Certification

Annual submission of the Private Fire Hydrant Test and Certification Report, form HCD MP 532 Equivalent (PDF) is required to obtain a permit to operate. All parks must submit this form annually, even parks without fire hydrants or water methods. Please contact [email protected] or (559) 621-8400 for additional information concerning fire hydrant certification.

532 Fire Hydrant Certification Form [Fresno] 

Emergency Preparedness Plan

Park management must develop an Emergency Preparedness Plan (EPP) to inform residents about what to do in preparation for and in the event of an emergency. The EPP is required in order to receive a permit to operate.

EPP Checklist 

Rent Review & Stabilization

The City of Fresno Municipal Code, Chapter 12, Article 20 (Effective January 1, 1988) established the Rent Review and Stabilization Commission (Commission), Resident Committees (Committees), and the rights and responsibilities for the Commission, Committees, and City with regard to rent increases for mobilehome parks.

The Commission consists of five regular members and seven alternate members (12 total). The Commission’s key responsibility is to hear rent increase applications should an Owner request proceedings following a vote to reject a non-automatic rent increase. Automatic rent increases not subject to Resident vote nor Commission review are defined in the ordinance.

Frequently Asked Questions

What laws are being enforced by the City of Fresno within mobilehome parks?

The City of Fresno is enforcing Division 13, Part 2.1, commencing with section 18200 (Mobilehome Parks Act) and Part 2.3 commencing with section 18860 (Special Occupancy Parks Act), of the California Health and Safety Code and their implementing regulations set forth in Title 25, California Code of Regulations Division 1, Chapters 2 and 2.2.

What areas in a mobilehome park (Park) are the Park owners responsible for? What areas are the mobilehome unit (Unit) owners and/or occupants responsible for?

The Park owner and/or operator is responsible for all vacant lots, open spaces, and common areas of the Park; and for all electrical, plumbing, mechanical, and fuel-gas equipment and installations, from the point of service entry into the Park to the point of connection between each lot’s service outlet(s) and the lot’s Unit. This includes the lot service outlet(s) itself.

The Unit owner and/or occupant is responsible for their Unit, all accessory buildings and structures upon the lot; and all electrical, plumbing, mechanical, and fuel-gas equipment and installations from the point of connection to the lot’s service outlet(s). The Unit owner and/or occupant is also responsible for any accumulation of rubbish, combustible material, or animal feces upon their lot.

Do I get my mobilehome building permit from the City of Fresno or HCD?

The answer depends on what specifically your building permit is for.

If you need a building permit for any accessory building, accessory structure, storage cabinet, or electrical, mechanical, plumbing, or fuel-gas equipment that is not a part of the mobilehome unit itself, you will need to get the building permit from the City of Fresno.

If you need a building permit for the mobilehome unit itself, you will need to get the building permit from HCD. For any other questions regarding building permits, please call (559) 621-8084 or (559) 621-8082, or email [email protected].

Where can I report an issue within a mobilehome park?

To report an issue within a mobilehome park to Code Enforcement, you can fill out the form here, call (559) 621-8400, or email [email protected]

How often are mobilehome parks inspected?

There are two types of inspections under the Mobilehome Parks Act: maintenance inspections, and complaint based inspections.

Maintenance inspections: Under state law, the City of Fresno is required to conduct maintenance inspections at a minimum of two mobilehome parks per year. The parks slated for these maintenance inspections are selected and notified at the beginning of the year.

Complaint based inspections: The City of Fresno will investigate complaints received by the public. These inspections can occur any time a complaint is received.