Fresno Yosemite International Airport has been advised of a Family Emergency Scam involving scammers posing as a relative or friend contacting individuals urging them to wire money immediately for help with an emergency situation.
Scammers pose as a relative or friend claiming they are being held by authorities at the Fresno Airport Yosemite Airport and are in need of a money wire to authorize their release.
According to the Federal Trade Commission, the goal of Family Emergency scams is to trick people in to sending money before they realize it is a scam. To make the story seem legitimate, another individual may join the call claiming to be an authority figure such as a lawyer.
If someone calls or sends a message claiming to be a relative or friend in need of money to help their situation, the Federal Trade Commission advises:
- Resist the urge to act immediately, no matter how dramatic the story is.
- Verify the person’s identity by asking questions that a stranger couldn’t possibly answer.
- Call a phone number for the family member or friend that is known to be genuine.
- Check the story out with someone else in the family or circle of friends, even if told to keep it a secret.
- Don’t wire money — or send a check or money order by overnight delivery or courier.
- Report possible fraud at ftc.gov/complaint or by calling 1-877-FTC-HELP.
- Report possible fraud to local law enforcement authorities.
Fresno Yosemite International Airport currently offers Valley passengers daily non-stop flights to Dallas, Denver, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Phoenix, Portland, Salt Lake City, San Diego, San Francisco, Seattle, and Guadalajara, Mexico on domestic and international carriers. Fresno Yosemite International Airport is a municipally owned entity operating as a self-supporting enterprise. No City of Fresno general funds are used to operate Fresno Yosemite International Airport or Fresno Chandler Executive Airport.
- April 2018 (2)
- March 2018 (2)
- February 2018 (3)
- January 2018 (10)
- December 2017 (5)
- November 2017 (8)
- October 2017 (7)
- September 2017 (3)
- August 2017 (1)
- July 2017 (4)
- June 2017 (7)
- May 2017 (10)
- April 2017 (5)
- March 2017 (4)
- February 2017 (7)
- January 2017 (5)
- December 2016 (5)
- November 2016 (6)
- October 2016 (2)
- September 2016 (2)
- August 2016 (7)