Image for Zoning found at: child-Page-Headerblock_e3fb9cd63f3a9fce9df73bc4b451cf6e

The purpose of the City’s Zoning Ordinance is to encourage, classify, designate, regulate, restrict, the highest and best location for, and use of, buildings, structures, and land for agriculture, residence, commerce, trade, industry, water conservation, or other purposes in appropriate places. To determine property zoning visit the Interactive Map linked below.

Effect of zoning codes:

  • Encourage the most appropriate use of land
  • Conserve and stabilize the value of property
  • Regulate and limit the height, number of stories, and size of buildings and other structures
  • Regulate and determine the size of residential yards and other open spaces
  • Regulate and limit the density of a city’s population by dividing the City into districts of such number, shape, and area as may be deemed best suited to carry out these regulations and provide for their enforcement
  • Provide adequate open spaces for light and air and to prevent and fight fires
  • Prevent undue concentration of population
  • Facilitate adequate provisions for community utilities, such as; transportation, water, sewerage, schools, parks and other public requirements
  • Promote the public health, safety and general welfare

Tower District Design Guidelines

Adopted as part of the Tower District Specific Plan, the Tower District Design Guidelines apply to all property within the Tower District.  For additional information, please contact Phillip Siegrist.

Ventura-Kings Canyon Design Guidelines 

Zoning FAQs

What is a Zone Clearance?

A Zone Clearance (ZC) is required to verify that each new or expanded use or structure complies with all of the applicable requirements of the Fresno Municipal Code and with any applicable policies and standards of the Fresno General Plan and any operative plans. A ZC is also required to confirm that the establishment of a new use is permitted as a matter of right and that no Conditional Use Permit or other entitlements are required prior to securing a tax certificate and commencing operation.

What is the zoning to my property?

GIS Toolbox This function will allow you to find information about a property, such as the APN number, the zoning, the existing land use, General Plan Designation, and whether the property is in the city or county. All that will be needed is the address of the property that you are researching. Refer to the Resource (hyperlink to Resource page when established) page for other tools that may help in researching property.

I’m looking to purchase a building. How can I be sure that the building’s zoning allows for the use I intend on conducting?

Once you know what your zoning is, then you can find out to see if the zone district matches the land use. If there is a P, then the use is permitted by right. If there is a number next to the letter (#), then there are specific limitations located at the end of the table that apply. If there is a C, then the use will have to go through the Conditional Use Permit process in order to be established at the property. If there is a dash (‐), then the use is prohibited.

What are the requirements for fencing?

More information about the requirements of adding fences, walls, or hedges will be added soon.

What are the requirements for adding an accessory building or structure?

More information about the requirements of adding an accessory building or structure will be added soon.

What are the allowances and limitations on installing a pool?

According to Fresno Municipal Code: Chapter 15, Article 20, Section 15‐2005 – Pools and Spas:

A. Swimming pools, including slides and decorative features, Jacuzzis, spas, mechanical equipment, ground‐ mounted air conditioners, swimming pool pumps, and related equipment shall not be located in the front or street‐side yards, and shall be set back a minimum of five feet from interior side and rear property lines.

B. All equipment shall comply with all applicable noise standards. If needed, equipment shall be baffled and/or enclosed to reduce noise to acceptable levels.

If further questions or clarity is needed, contact us at (559) 621‐8277 to speak to a planner.

Where would I go if I wanted to see past permits and entitlements on a property?

Previous or active permits and entitlements on a property will be available online soon. Please provide either the APN number or the address of the property that you intend to look up. You can also go to our Records Counter (2600 Fresno Street, 3rd Floor – South End, Room 3043) to view at microfische that have previous permits and entitlements on them.

Non-Residential Design Guidelines

These following design guidelines are implemented by staff and are intended to facilitate development that is compatible with existing land uses and that foster certain activities (i.e. pedestrian friendliness, safety, passive open space, etc.).

Ventura-Kings Canyon Design Guidelines 

Cell Tower Design

A Conditional Use Permit is also required for all cell towers.  For additional information on Cell Towers view our policy linked below.

Cell Tower Design Policies and Procedures