Constructed in 1981 and located at 1264 North Jackson near Olive, Station No. 1 houses an engine, a Battalion Chief, and the department’s elite Hazardous Materials (HAZMAT) Response Team (HMRT). In addition to their regular firefighting duties, members of this crew train constantly in the demanding job of keeping up with the ever-changing world of hazardous chemicals, pesticides, and explosives. This station covers much of Southeast Fresno’s mixed industrial and residential areas. The units from Station No. 1 were first on scene at the December 1994 Learjet crash on Olive Avenue.
Engine No. 1 – (2003 Smeal ) The engine is operated by a crew of 4.
Hazmat No. 1 – (2008 SVI) Staffed by a member of Engine No. 1’s crew.
Battalion No. 1 – 2006 Chevrolet command vehicle.
Constructed in 1981 under the Urban Growth Management (UGM) program, located at 7114 North West near Herndon, Station No. 2 houses an engine and a water tender. The crew of Station 2 faces diverse firefighting challenges responding to emergencies in rural river bottom areas and urban residential areas.
Engine No. 2 – (2005 Smeal) The engine is operated by a crew of three.
Water Tender No. 2- (2005 KME) The water tender holds 3,000 gallons of water and is staffed by a crew member from engine 2.
Constructed in 1938 (the oldest fire station in the Fresno Metropolitan area) and located at 1406 Fresno Street near E Street, Station No. 3 houses an engine and a water tender (staffed as needed ), Station No. 3 is known affectionately as “The Rock” by those who work there, (referring to the unique cast in a single block of concrete construction of the building). Station No. 3 has been placed on the State Registry of Historical buildings. Originally built to house 32 firefighters, this cavernous block of a firehouse is now the home to a crew of four. It is one of two stations in the Fresno Fire Department that still have functional brass poles. Scheduled for demolition and replacement several times over her long and colored existence, Station No. 3 is currently enjoying a renaissance of sorts with a coalition having been formed between the firefighters and The Chinatown Redevelopment Association. Using the funds raised by an annual Jazz festival put on by the two organizations, some much needed repairs and renovations have taken place the past few years, ensuring that this proud flagship of the Fire Department will continue to serve the people of Fresno for many years to come. In fact, far from being ready to retire, Station No.3 is the busiest fire station in the San Joaquin Valley.
In Firehouse magazine’s 1992 run survey, Fresno Fire Department’s Station No. 3 was the third busiest engine house in the state of California which is quite an accomplishment when you consider that this survey includes such cities as San Francisco and Los Angeles! Station No. 3’s jurisdiction covers downtown Fresno, including most of the high-rise district, the Fulton Mall, and much of south west Fresno.
The block occupied by Station No. 3 is also home to the Fresno Fire Department’s Training Section and Drill Tower, as well as the Repair and Maintenance section that is responsible for maintaining fire department apparatus.
Engine No. 3 – (2007 Smeal) The engine is operated by a crew of four.
Water Tender No. 3 – (1986 GMC) The water tender holds 2,000 gallons of water and is staffed by a firefighter from engine 3.
Constructed in 1948 and located at 3065 East Iowa near First. Station No. 4 houses a single truck company and half of the department’s Urban Search and Rescue (US&R) team. This massive structure once housed up to five major pieces of fire apparatus, and a compliment of up to 16 firefighters. Attached to the back of the station is a handball court, an amenity one would be hard pressed to include in a fire station blueprint today. Budget cuts over the years have left this cavernous fire house with a crew of four. Station 4 has within it’s jurisdiction Community Regional Medical Center.
Urban Search and Rescue Team (US&R) – Members of this elite unit train constantly on the demanding skills needed to perform High Angle, Low Angle, Swift Water, and Confined Space Rescues. To aid them in these tasks, the apparatus at this station carry a great deal of specialized equipment not carried on standard fire department units. These include a great deal of rope rescue equipment, personal flotation devices, Wetsuits, hydraulic and mechanical tools to aid in the removal of those trapped by structural collapse, atmospheric monitoring equipment
Truck No. 4 – (2005 Smeal) The truck is operated by a crew of four.
Heavy Rescue 4- (2007 Pierce) The Rescue is staffed by a firefighter engineer from Truck 4.
Constructed in 1950 and located at 3131 North Fresno Street near Shields south of the canal. Station No. 5 houses a single engine company . Station No. 5 has within its response area Manchester Mall and the Veteran’s Administration Hospital.
Engine No. 5 (2010 HiTech)- The engine is operated by a crew of four.
Constructed in 1967 at 4343 East Gettysburg near Rowell. Station No. 6 houses a single engine company. The station is also home to the Geographical Information System Team (GIS). The GIS team is responsible for ensuring all department maps are up to date and accurate. These maps are critical for fast and accurate responses to emergency calls. This small station covers a predominantly residential district that extends north to Shaw Avenue and the Campus of California State University Fresno.
Engine No. 6 (2010 HiTech) – The engine is operated by a crew of three.
Constructed in 1981 and located at 2571 South Cherry near Jensen, Station No. 7 houses a single-engine company, and a patrol which is used on vegetation fires. The fact that this station is located in the middle of an industrial area may explain the lack of “architectural creativity” in its design. It fits in well with the warehouses in its district. Station No. 7 has within its area of responsibility some of the huge industrial businesses in southwest Fresno, such as the old FMC chemical plant and the Nissinbo Cotton plant.
Engine No. 7 (2010 HiTech) – The engine is operated by a crew of three.
Patrol No. 7 (2007 Dodge) – The patrol is staffed by a firefighter from the engine crew.
Constructed in 1959 and located at 1428 South Cedar near Butler, across the street from the old Hanoian’s Market. Station No. 8 houses an engine company and communications unit. The crew of this station are part of the Communication Team, a specialty unit that supports Fresno Fire Dispatch, all fire apparatus mobile data terminals (MDT’s) and other major projects that are essential for proper communications within the department and surrounding agencies. Station No. 8 covers such occupancies as The Fresno Fairgrounds and Fresno Pacific University.
Engine No. 8 (2007 Smeal) – The engine is operated by a crew of four.
Comm. Unit No. 8 (2003 Ford)- The Comm. unit is staffed by a member of the engine 8 crew.
Constructed in 1982 located at 2340 North Vagedes near Clinton. Station No. 9 houses a single engine company. This station covers a large area of West Central Fresno, including the Tower District, and part of the Blackstone corridor.
Engine No. 9 (2009 Smeal) – The engine is operated by a crew of four.
Constructed in 1983, located at 5545 Air Terminal near Westover, Station No. 10 houses a single truck company. This station sits on the northern perimeter of Fresno Yosemite Air Terminal and supports the Airport Rescue Fire Fighting (ARFF) station.
Truck No. 10 (2006 Smeal)- The truck is operated by a crew of three.
Constructed in 1969 located at 5544 North Fresno near Barstow. Station No. 11 houses a truck company, and a Battalion chief.
Truck 11 has within its response area: the Fashion Fair Mall, a significant portion of the Blackstone corridor, a portion of Freeway 41, and numerous large apartment complexes.
Truck No. 11 (2008 Smeal) – The truck is operated by a crew of four.
Battalion No. 3 (2008 Toyota)- Command vehicle
Constructed in 1977 and located at 2874 West Acacia near Marks. Station No. 12 houses an engine company. Intended to be a temporary station, a stop-gap measure was to provide coverage to the northwest corner of town until a suitable site for a permanent station could be procured, this station was designed basically as a residential structure with an extra large garage attached to the side of it . The idea is that when and if a permanent station is built, this structure will be refurbished and sold as a private residence.
Engine No. 12 (2006 Smeal) – The engine is operated by a crew of four.
Station 13 houses an engine company and half of the Department’s Urban Search and Rescue (US&R) team. Engine and Rescue 13 carry many of the tools required for swift water rescue, rescue boat operations, and SCUBA and surface supplied air diving operations.
Constructed in 1980 under the Urban Growth Management (UGM) program and located at 815 East Nees near Bond. Station No. 13 was funded entirely by developers’ fees from housing construction in the area. Station No 13 is located near the Post Office and covers such occupancies as Saint Agnes Medical Center, Kaiser Permanente, Pinedale, and River Park Shopping Center.
Engine No. 13 (2006 Smeal) – The engine is operated by a crew of three.
Rescue No. 13 (2007 Dodge) – The Rescue is staffed by a member of the engine crew.
Rescue Boat No. 1 (2004 Polaris Spirit Inflatable).
Rescue Boat No. 2 (2006 Zodiac Grand Raid Mark 2)
Built in 1992 and located at 6239 North Polk near Escalon, Station No. 14 houses an engine, a ladder truck and a brush rig. This station also serves as the central location for the repair and maintenance of the miles of fire hose used by the Fresno Fire Department.
Engine No. 14 – The engine is operated by a crew of three.
Truck No. 14 – The engine is operated by a crew of three.
Brush rig No. 14- The brush rig is operated by the truck crew.
Station 15 began serving the community on November, 7 2005. Located at 5630 E Park Circle , the station serves the Sunnyside community by providing both fire protection to residents, and hosting community meetings. The station’s strategic location is playing a critical role in ensuring firefighters achieve the Department’s “4 Minutes to Excellence” response time goal.
Engine No. 15 – The engine is operated by a crew of three.
OES No. 314- This engine is used for “The Office of Emergency Services” or as a reserve engine when needed.
Constructed in 1983 and located at 4170 N. Brix near Ashlan, Station No. 16 houses one engine company. Many people drive by this station never realizing what it is, since the only feature that distinguishes it from the surrounding homes is the slightly oversized garage. A “temporary” fire station, this building was designed to be sold as a residential structure once a location for a permanent station was located.
Engine No. 16 – The engine is operated by a crew of three.
Station 17 began serving the community on December 1, 2005. Located at 10512 N Maple, the station serves the residents of northeast Fresno. The Station is equipped with a community meeting room, utilized by the community for a number of social events. The station’s strategic location is playing a critical role in ensuring firefighters achieve the Department’s “4 Minutes to Excellence” response time goal.
Engine No. 17 – 2005 Smeal which pumps 1,500 galloons of water per minute, and is equipped with a 730 gallon water tank. The engine is operated by a crew of three.
Patrol Rig No. 17- Used for vegetation fires and is staffed by the engine crew.
Station 18 began serving the community on January 17, 2005. Located at 5938 N La Ventana the station serves the residents of northwest Fresno. The station is a temporary station, and will eventually be relocated to Shaw and Grantland. Both the temporary location and permanent station locations have been chosen to best serve the rapid residential growth in the area. Additionally, the station’s strategic location is playing a critical role in ensuring firefighters achieve the Department’s “4 Minutes to Excellence” response time goal.
Engine No. 18 – The engine is operated by a crew of three.
Constructed in 2009 located at 3187 E Belmont near Marks. Station No. 19 houses a truck company, and a Battalion chief.
Truck 19 has within its response area: Roeding Park and the Chaffee Zoo, and is on the western edge of the City of Fresno.
Truck No. 19 (2004 Smeal) – The truck is operated by a crew of three.
Battalion No. 2 (2008 Chevrolet)- North Central Fire District Command vehicle
The Fresno City Fire Department began a partnership with Fig Garden Fire Protection District January 1, 2006. The station serves the residents of Fig Garden, a historic district located in the heart of our community. The District has a rich history of fire service, and has been providing fire protection to local residents since 1942. The merger of services between FFD and the Fire District has improved both emergency response to the community, and is proving to be fiscally prudent. This station is home to an engine company and a battalion chief.
Engine No. 20 – The engine is operated by a crew of three.
Battalion No.3- 2006 Chevrolet.
Constructed in 1984 on a 1.7 acre lot, and located in the City of Kerman, Station No. 21 was part of the 2007 merger between Fresno Fire Department and North Central Fire Protection District. The station was the former headquarters for NCFD. This 13,372 square foot station now houses an engine company, a 105′ ladder truck company , a water tender, and is a post for American Ambulance crew. As the size of Kerman increases, so does the volume of emergency calls station 21 response to. The recent addition of the ladder truck will greatly increase the protection of lives and property in the City of Kerman and neighboring areas.
Engine No. 21- Staffed by a crew of three.
Truck No. 21- Staffed by a crew of three
Water Tender No. 21- The water tender holds 3,000 gallons of water and is staffed by a firefighter from station 21.
Constructed in 1988, this station is located on the south west corner of Kearney Park. As part of the Fresno Fire Department and North Central Fire Protection District merger, this station is home to a single engine company and is the front-line defense for the Kearney Mansion.
Engine No.22- Staffed by a crew of three.
Constructed in 1986, this small station is located in Biola. Station No. 23 is part of the 2007 Fresno Fire Department and North Central Fire Protection District merger. This station houses a single engine company and a water tender.
Engine No. 23- Staffed by a crew of three
Water Tender No. 23- The water tender holds 3,000 gallons of water and is staffed by a firefighter from the engine.