A Message from the Fire Chief
Our Mission: To Protect & Put Service Above All Else
Our Core Values: Teamwork, Trust, and Commitment
Thank you for visiting the Fresno Fire Department (FFD) website. It is an honor to lead such an esteemed fire department and its dedicated members in such an extraordinary community of over 540,000 residents. Established in 1877, the FFD is one of the oldest fire departments in the United States and the largest department in the Central Valley.
We have 371 sworn firefighters, 27 sworn non-safety & 28 civilian for a total of 426 positions. The proud men and women of the FFD take great pride in delivering a wide variety of services to California’s 5th largest city.
Currently, services are delivered through the five (5) Divisions within the FFD:
- 1. Administration Division provides for policy administration, public and interagency relations, budget and grant administration, citywide emergency management, financial planning and workers compensation management.
- 2. Personnel and Investigative Services Division works closely with the City Personnel Department to manage the recruitment, testing, interview process for all positions within the FFD. Additionally, fire investigations, and internal investigations are managed by this division.
- 3. Emergency Operations Division provides emergency response in firefighting, EMS, and specialty team(s) operations. In 2021, the Department responded to 47,648 emergency incidents, with 7,122 being fire calls, resulting in a total of over $51 million in fire loss. All fire facilities, supplies, and personal protective equipment oversight are managed from this division.
- 4. Training Division provides all-hazards in-service and mandated training to all members of the FFD. In addition, the oversight of recruit academies and management of the 2-year training plan is implemented by this division.
- 5. Prevention and Support Services Division provides fire code enforcement, inspection services; issues fire permits, plan checks and conducts fire educational outreach programs. Additionally, the information services, technical service needs, and fire shop oversight fall within the purview of this division.