The purpose of the City’s Zoning Ordinance is to encourage, classify, designate, regulate, restrict, the highest and best location for, and use of, buildings, structures, and land for agriculture, residence, commerce, trade, industry, water conservation, or other purposes in appropriate places. To determine property zoning visit the Interactive Map linked below.
Effect of zoning codes:
- Encourage the most appropriate use of land
- Conserve and stabilize the value of property
- Regulate and limit the height, number of stories, and size of buildings and other structures
- Regulate and determine the size of residential yards and other open spaces
- Regulate and limit the density of a city’s population by dividing the City into districts of such number, shape, and area as may be deemed best suited to carry out these regulations and provide for their enforcement
- Provide adequate open spaces for light and air and to prevent and fight fires
- Prevent undue concentration of population
- Facilitate adequate provisions for community utilities, such as; transportation, water, sewerage, schools, parks and other public requirements
- Promote the public health, safety and general welfare
Non-Residential Design Guidelines
These following design guidelines are implemented by staff and are intended to facilitate development that is compatible with existing land uses and that foster certain activities (i.e. pedestrian friendliness, safety, passive open space, etc.).