Development and Resource Management

Development Process FAQs

Development Process FAQs

Can I have a Tiny Home on my Property?
How do I obtain a Zone Clearance?

You are able to obtain a zone clearance over the Planning Counter at City Hall, 2600 Fresno Street, 3rd Floor South End, Room 3043 Home Occupation Business Zone Clearance Mobile Vendors—Off Street This form is for Mobile Vendors that stop at a site to conduct business. Mobile Vendors—On Street This form is for Mobile Vendors that does not stop at a site(s) to conduct business; continuously stays on the streets. An example of an On Street Mobile Vendor is an ice cream truck.

What are the fees for a Zone Clearance?

$20 per Zone Clearance. We do accept debit/credit.

When is a Plan Amendment required?

Plan Amendments are required whenever there is a proposed planned land use change.

What are the fees for Plan Amendments?

For Plan Amendment Application Filing Fees, contact: Mike Sanchez

When is the Rezone application required?

Rezone applications are required whenever there is a proposed zone district change. All rezone applications are considered by the Planning Commission and City Council.

When is a Conditional Use Permit application required?

A Conditional Use Permit application is required whenever a use is proposed that requires a Conditional Use Permit as outlined in the Zoning Ordinance. Conditional Use Permit applications are reviewed by Planning staff and are only considered by the Planning Commission or City Council by appealed. A Conditional Use Permit is also required for all cell towers. More information about Cell Tower Design and Procedure Policies will be available soon.

When is a Development Permit (DP) application required?

Development Permit applications are required for all new structures, with the exception of single-family residences.

When is a Variance application required?

A Variance application is a request to modify property development standards due to special circumstances. Note, variances are not granted for uses (i.e. to operate a commercial use in a residential district), rather they are simply for development standards (i.e. setbacks, height, open space, etc.).

When is a Minor Deviation application required?

A Minor Deviation is a request to modify property development standards by no more than 10 percent. For example, if the required side yard setback is five feet, an applicant may request a 10 percent deviation which would allow the applicant to encroach six inches into the required side yard.

What is a Zoning Inquiry?

A zoning inquiry is a request for a formal response by the Planning Division for a set of specific questions.

What are the steps to the Zoning Inquiry process?

The applicant would submit an application. Once the application has been accepted, staff will do research on the property(s). Once the research is finished, a staff member will send a letter out to the applicant.

How long does a Zoning Inquiry take?

A zoning inquiry can take from 1–14 days.

What are the fees for a Zoning Inquiry?


What is the process for Signs?

Signs fall within two distinct categories in the city: temporary banners and permanent signs.

Temporary Banners
In order to display a temporary banner advertising grand openings, special events, sales, etc., a temporary banner permit must be obtained from the Planning Division. Temporary sign permits are:

  • valid for 30 day periods
  • may not exceed 60 square feet in area—must be affixed to a wall.

Note that only two permits per calendar year may be obtained. To obtain a permit, a plot plan depicting the location of the proposed sign, including the size of the sign, must be submitted to the public planning counter. This permit is issued immediately.

Temporary Sign Permit Application (i.e. Banner)

Fee: $182.00 per sign

Permanent Signs
There are three different types of permanent signs:

  • wall mounted
  • monument
  • free standing sign

Given the many variability’s of sizes, setbacks, height, etc. of the three types of signs, it is recommended that an applicant visit the public planning counter or refer to the Sign Ordinance.

Also note that shopping centers must participate in a Master Sign Program (MSP) where the design of the signs must be uniform. As part of this process, the shopping center owner prepares the guidelines, which in turn are reviewed by city staff to ensure that they comply with city ordinances and that the design is compatible with the center (i.e., pole signs are strongly discouraged). Once the MSP is established, future tenants may obtain sign permits, however, all applications must be signed by the property owner/management team.

Sign Permit Application (individual sign for a business not located within a shopping center) Fee: $318.00

Fees: New Program $999.00
Sign in established program $182.00

What is the process for Tentative Parcel Maps?

Similar to a Tentative Tract Map as described above, a Tentative Parcel Map is a process that subdivides property. However, unlike a Tentative Tract Map, Parcel Maps typically proposed four or less parcels or to create a unified commercial shopping center.

For tentative parcel maps, contact:
Will Tackett

For final parcel maps, contact:
Jon Bartel

When is an Easement Encroachment Permit required?

Easement encroachment permits are requested whenever someone proposes to encroach into an easement with a structure, pool, etc. Easements commonly include, public utilities (i.e. telephone, sewer, water), irrigation, flood control, etc.

What are the fees for an Easement Encroachment Permit?


Is a Zone Clearance required for a Cottage Food Operation?

A CFO is permitted as a home occupation; therefore, a Zone Clearance is required. The applicant is required to fill out the Home Occupation Zone Clearance form and bring a hard copy to the Development Services Division public counter (2600 Fresno Street, 3rd Floor). Once Development Services staff signs the ZC the applicant shall continue the process and obtain their Business Tax Certificate from the Business Tax Division on the 2nd Floor of City Hall. The CFO applicant shall provide the Fresno County Health Department with a copy of the approved Zone Clearance.