City of Fresno Joins National ‘Fix a Leak Week’
– On average, more than 10,000 gallons of water is wasted per household and 1 trillion gallons nationwide due to running toilets, dripping faucets and other minor household leaks.
To help curtail this waste, the City of Fresno, along with other members of the Central Valley Water Awareness Committee, joins the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) WaterSense in declaring March 18 – 24 as “Fix a Leak Week.”
The national “Fix a Leak Week” campaign is an opportunity to encourage Fresno residents and businesses to improve their water efficiency by checking and fixing leaks. The “Fix a Leak Week” also is an ideal way for area residents and businesses to step up conservation efforts and reduce water use by 20% by the year 2020 in urban areas.
“Educating the community on the critical importance of water conservation has long been a priority of Central Valley Water Awareness agencies," said Nora Laikam, City of Fresno Water Conservation Supervisor. "We are encouraged by the public’s increased awareness on the need to save water. 'Fix a Leak Week' comes at an opportune time, given the ongoing statewide concerns over the water shortage.”
To lead by example, the City of Fresno is studying and improving its own water usage. Each City department continues to analyze its own water use with the goal of water reduction. To help water customers, the City has many programs in place to conserve water and educate the public on the detection and repair of leaks.
Below are some simple ways to save water:
- Fix leaky faucets and toilets immediately.
- Replace old toilets with low flow toilets and /or adjust toilet floats.
- Do not let water run into the gutters from over-watering.
- Water landscapes only when necessary.
- Always have an automatic shut-off nozzle on garden hoses.
- Teach children to turn off the water when brushing their teeth.
Please contact the Conservation Program when water waste is observed or if you want to schedule a free water leak survey at (559) 621-5480 or call 621-CITY.
For more information on water conservation or “Fix a Leak Week,” please call 621-5480 or visit www.fresnowater.org
# # #