Take the 20-Gallon Challenge and Help Save Our Water
As Fresno begins the transition to residential water meters, the 20 Gallon Challenge presents a perfect opportunity to rethink the way water is used in our community. Below are a few suggested ways to meet the 20-Gallon Challenge:
• Fix leaky faucets and save 15-20 gallons per day, per leak.
• Fix leaky toilets and save 30-500 gallons of water daily.
• Adjust sprinklers so they don’t water driveways, streets and sidewalks to save 15-25 gallons per day.
• Wash only full loads of laundry to save 15-50 gallons per load.
• Water landscapes only when necessary. The City’s seasonal watering schedule is available at www.fresnowater.org or by calling 621-5480.
• Plant water-wise San Joaquin Valley-friendly trees and plants to save 2/3 of the water used compared to water guzzling plants. Learn more about the wide range of drought tolerant plants at the City of Fresno’s Water-Wise Plant Exchange on May 8 from 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. near the Fresno State Horticulture Greenhouses, 3150 E. Barstow Ave.
“We all recognize the importance of using water wisely in our community and the 20-Gallon Challenge is a fun way to get everyone involved,” Mayor Ashley Swearengin said. “We’re doing all we can at the City of Fresno to provide information on how to easy it is to conserve this incredibly valuable natural resource.”
“Water meters are another useful tool to encourage conservation and taking the 20-Gallon Challenge is a great way to help provide a smooth transition for everyone,” said Rene Ramirez, Director of Public Utilities.
State law requires that the City of Fresno implement metered water rates for all customers. Over the next three years meters will be installed for approximately 111,000 residences. Fresno water customers will pay about a penny for every ten gallons of water. According to a recent nationwide survey, that’s about 52% below the national average for cities of a similar size.
For additional water-saving tips visit www.fresnowater.org to learn many other ways to meet the 20-Gallon Challenge in your kitchen, laundry room, landscape, bathroom and pool. For landscape consulting, leak audits, help setting your sprinkler timer, rebate information and more, call 621-5480 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.