Representation Sought for Joint Powers Authority Board
Mayor Alan Autry is seeking interested applicants for a Joint Powers Authority (JPA) board who will be responsible for overseeing the distribution of funding and use of public, education cable and governmental programming.
The JPA Board will initially consist of five members. Three members will be appointed by the Mayor of Fresno and confirmed by the Fresno City Council. The remaining two members will be appointed by the Clovis City Council. Members may not be Councilmembers of the City of Fresno or the City of Clovis.
The specific purposes of the JPA are:
• To support, manage, produce, and distribute noncommercial, community-based media programs.
• Establish, maintain and operate one (1) or more media access center(s)
• To educate individuals and organizations in the use of various media tools and techniques.
• To promote programs and support the use of various media as vehicles of artistic expression.
• To produce programs and other media materials in the public interest.
• To serve access viewers with programming reflecting the activities, concerns, diversity, and interests of the residents of the Greater Fresno area in a manner that promotes a free exchange of ideas and information.
• To encourage the use of the media center and its resources among a wide range of individuals, organizations and institutions representing the diversity of the Greater Fresno area.
• Administer grants for the production of noncommercial, community-based media programs to nonprofit community groups and organizations.
• Encourage, promote, facilitate and further noncommercial, community-based media programming and to conduct business in all aspects related to non-commercial, community-based media programming.
Interested citizens may complete an application available from the Office of the Fresno City Clerk and return it to the City Clerk no later than Friday, September 5, 2008.