Interactive Voice Response System Provides Convenience For City Utility Customers
The City of Fresno initiated an automated system to improve service to customers with questions about their utilities and to schedule permitting inspections.
The City of Fresno has implemented an Interactive Voice Response (IVR) system for their Utility Billing and Building and Safety divisions. Using a telephone keypad, this computerized system allows the caller to select options from a voice activated menu that interacts with the City’s Utilities and Permitting computer systems. The service is available in both English and Spanish.
The caller can gather information and conduct the following on-line transactions:
- Inquiries about their utilities account
- Account balance, date and amount of last bill, date and amount of last
- payment, and account payment history.
- Conduct secure credit card payments.
- Receive a detailed transaction history print out via fax.
- Report a missed solid waste pick up.
- Information pertaining to building and safety
- Make inspection requests.
- Schedule inspections.
- Cancel inspections.
- Receive inspection results.
- Certificate of Occupancy.
The IVR system provides 24-hour access, seven days a week. Since the initial implementation of the Utilities IVR system, caller wait time has been reduced by more than 50% as more than 37% of customer calls were conducted using the IVR system.
The IVR permitting system currently schedules over 55 inspections per day. The public is invited to access and explore the new City IVR Utilities system by dialing 621-6888. To access the Permitting system, dial 621-8116. The City welcomes community feedback as we continue to address the publics’ desire for improved City services.
CONTACT: Rhonda Jorn, Public Affairs Manager (559) 621-7777 Patti Miller, Public Affairs Administrator 621-7795
# # #
Fresno, a culture of excellence where people get the best every day.