‘Fresno Green’ A Plan To Create A Sustainable City By 2025
Mayor Autry and Council President, Henry T. Perea will unveil an environmental plan created to support the existing General Plan that promotes significant conservation of natural, physical, historical and cultural resources.
The ‘Fresno Green’ plan will be released at a press conference Monday, April 23, 2007 at 1:30 pm at the City of Fresno Municipal Service Center at canopy ‘Q’.
‘Fresno Green’ is a detailed action plan created to transform Fresno into a sustainable city that works to preserve the earth’s natural resources for future generations.
Mayor Autry stated, “Now is the time to take action to improve and preserve our environment. Although Fresno has led the nation in projects and initiatives to help clean the air and conserve precious resources, the ‘Fresno Green’ plan will be the blue print that ensures Fresno will continue to lead the way to protect our environment in the new millennium.”
‘Fresno Green’ is a working document from which the city and other stakeholders can work from to address some of the most sensitive and complex environmental challenges to protect and preserve our environment. The document specifically addresses five key components:
- New City Beautiful: Integratiing buildings using good urban design. Giving priority to public health, open spaces, public art, historic preservation, urban forests and the protection of natural habitats.
- Sierra View 2025: Creating a clearly visible Sierra Nevada mountain range for valley residents by 2025.
- Solar Valley: Increased use of renewable energy by applying and creating related technology and new business enterprises.
- Green Enterprises and Economic Development: Create a center of innovative business enterprises that focus on providing environmental, economic and social benefits.
- City as Good Steward: Lead by example by greening up facilities. Practice and embrace a zero waste initiatives by providing necessary staff resources and collaborate with other municipalities and agencies to develop regionally-based Green programs.
Council President, Henry T. Perea commented “It's up to our generation to say yes to renewable energy and alternative fuels. I'm proud to partner with Mayor Autry on this innovative plan that will serve as a road map to acleaner, greener future."
The City of Fresno Municipal Service Center is located at 2101 G Street, Fresno, CA. Event signs will be posted.
For more information on the ‘Fresno Green’ press event, contact City of Fresno Public Information Manager, Rhonda Jorn at (559) 246-9035.
CONTACT: Rhonda Jorn, Public Affairs Manager (559) 621-7777 Patti Miller, Public Affairs Administrator 621-7795
# # #
Fresno, a culture of excellence where people get the best every day.