Record Breaking Water Production; Citizens Asked to Save Water
FRESNO , CA ( July 15, 2005) – The City of Fresno Department of Public Utilities, Water Division announces the water system produced a record peak flow and total daily production for its customers on July 12, 2005. This beats the previous record from July 22, 2003.
Due to current hot weather conditions, consumers are using more water than usual. High demand forces City pumps to increase energy use as they try to meet the community’s water supply and water pressure requirements. To help save water and energy, the City is requesting that consumers make a special effort to conserve water.
7/12/05 - Total Water Flow: 239.7 Million Gallons Per Day (MGD)
Peak Flow at 9:10 PM: 247,000 Gallons Per Minute (GPM)
7/22/03 - Total Water Flow: 229.61 million gallons per day
Peak Flow at 8:43 PM: 238.4 GPM
Water Division crews are hard at work trying to keep up with the high demand and maintain adequate water pressure in the system. Consumers can help by strictly following the Summer Watering Schedule.
Watering Times: 7PM to 6AM and 8AM to 11AM
Tuesday,Thursday, Saturday Wednesday, Friday, Sunday
ODD Numbered Addresses: EVEN Numbered Addresses:
(addresses that end in 1,3,5,7,9) (addresses that end in 0,2,4,6,8)
NO Watering on Mondays
Some other practical efforts customers can make to help keep water usage to a minimum during this hot season:
- Avoid water run-off into the gutters when irrigating landscape. Repair broken sprinklers.
- Check irrigation timers to make sure they are operating correctly.
- Irrigate landscaping off the hour, i.e. 10:17 PM, 2:52 AM, 5:18 AM.
- Repair leaking faucets and toilets.
- Only run full loads in dishwashers and clothes washers - - preferably after 9 PM.
- Sweep sidewalks and driveways rather than washing them off with water.
For other water conservation ideas, visit the City of Fresno Water Division website at fresnowater.org or call the Conservation offices at 621-5480
Andrew T. Souza , City Manager
Contact: Ken Shockley, Public Affairs Officer: (559) 621-7777