Wastewater Management- Customer Service: Commercial Sewer Rates
Commercial facility wastewater bills are calculated based on flows and loadings. The flows are generally based on potable water meter consumption (SP), but in certain circumstances may be based on an estimated effluent discharge (EF) to the sewer for a particular entity. The loadings are primarily based on historical sampling data for the business type. There are currently three levels of commercial billing at which a customer may be placed.
These levels are based on the discharge strength of the business as measured by Biochemical Oxygen Demand (BOD) and Total Suspended Solids (TSS). Also included in the wastewater billing are pretreatment surcharges which are based on the business activity. Billing for Commercial businesses is performed bimonthly by the City of Fresno. There is a minimum charge for all commercial businesses of $24.98 per month.
Potable Sewer Commercial High (CH):
- Having BOD or TSS of 501 mg/L or greater
- Wastewater charges are SP = $3.514 per HCF or EF = $3.864 per HCF
Potable Sewer Commercial Medium (CM):
- Having BOD or TSS of 201 mg/L to 500 mg/L
- Wastewater charges are $1.792 per HCF of water consumption or $1.973 per HCF of Effluent volume
Potable Sewer Commercial Low (CL):
- Having BOD and TSS of 200 mg/L or less
- Wastewater charges are $1.077 per HCF of water consumption or $1.184 per HCF of Effluent volume
The difference in rates between water consumption SP and EF is based on a built in irrigation credit found in the rate structure. SP rates are less because of this built in credit.
A Pretreatment Surcharge is charged to all users to pay for the pretreatment program. Pretreatment Surcharges are categorized as follows:
- PT02: All commercial establishments which may require pretreatment and monitoring activity (automotive repair, bakeries -- retail, restaurants, car washes are a few examples) @ $4.05 per month.
- PT03: Sanitary discharge only (offices, automotive retail, business/services) @ $1.29 per month.
BOD = Biochemical Oxygen Demand (organic content)
TSS = Total Suspended Solids (particulate matter)
mg/L = Milligrams per Liter
HCF = Hundred Cubic Feet ( 1 HCF = 748 gallons)