Parks, After School, Recreation & Community Services
Community Science Programs and Workshops
- Highway City Science Center
- Informal Science Workshop
- Mobile Science Workshop
- Family Science Nights Events
- Life and Environmental Science Program
Science Program serves over 40,000 students in Fresno City, County, and surrounding communities!
Program Philosophy - The Community Science Workshops dispel the failure that traditionally turns students away from science. The informal learning environment gives hands-on opportunities in science and technology to encourage participants to take an interest in a science field. The philosophy of "learning through discovery" is inspired by the Community Science Workshop Network, Exploratorium, California Tinkering Afterschool Network. It is "do-it-yourself" science with an emphasis on enjoying the sense of discovery that comes from experimentation.
Mission - To expand knowledge, thinking and imagination with tools of discovery and things to discover.
- to increase enthusiasm for Science
- to help students develop cooperative leadership, mentoring and communication skills
- to teach parents how to effectively take part in their child's learning
- to develop positive attitudes about the environment and our community
*Fresno Community Science Workshop
Highway City Science Center (drop-in program)
5140 N. State Avenue
Fresno, CA 93722
Tuesdays-Fridays 2:00 pm to 6:30 pm
Saturdays 10:00 am to 4:00 pm
* Informal Science Workshop at Highway City Science Center - The Informal Science Workshops at Highway Science Center offer after school opportunities to "hang out with a purpose." Our carefully selected staff focuses on developing basic educational skills. We have created a place where gender roles are shattered. There are no spectators, only active explorers.
Parents are strongly encouraged to drop in and participate in their children's learning.
Local schools can get involved with the informal science workshops by scheduling after school session and field trips to our science center.
* Mobile Science Workshop - The Mobile Science Workshop is a 40 foot traveling science lab that visits schools, events and community organizations. The lab is equipped with all the tools and materials for a variety hands on science exhibits and activities.
Plan ahead for the Mobile Science Workshop. For reservations and fees call (559) 621-2945. Subjects: Life, Earth, Physics, Geology, Earth Science, Chemistry, and Rocketry.
* Family Science Night Events - At neighborhood schools or Highway City Science Center, the students and parents participate together and demonstrate their love of science by exploring through hands on activities.
* Life and Environmental Science Program - A grant-funded program that encourages the exploration and appreciation of our environment. Contact Manuel Hernandez at (559) 621-2945 for more information.
COME JOIN US!
THANKS TO OUR MANY CO-SPONSORS:
- National Science Foundation
- Community Science Workshop Network
- California State University, Fresno
- Fresno Unified School District
- California Tinkering Afterschool Network
- Fresno Police Department
- Fresno City College
- California Department of Fish and Game
- Joel M. Murrilo, Attorney at Law
- Central Valley Science Project
- Watsonville Environmental Science Workshop
- San Joaquin River Conservancy
- Cat Haven Project Survival