Parks, After School, Recreation & Community Services
Community Science Programs and Workshops
- Mobile Science Workshops
- Granny's Science Workshops
- Life and Environmental Science
Science Program serves over 50,000 students in Fresno County and surrounding communities!
Program Philosophy - The Community Science Workshops dispel the failure that traditionally turn students away from science. The informal learning environment gives hands-on opportunities in science and technology to encourage participants to take an interest in a science field. The philosophy of "learning through discovery" is inspired by the Exploratorium Teacher Institute. It is "do-it-yourself" science with an emphasis on enjoying the sense of discovery that comes from experimentation.
Mission - To expand knowledge, thinking and imagination with tools of discovery and things to discover.
- to increase enthusiasm for Science
- to help students develop cooperative leadership, mentoring and communication skills
- to teach parents how to effectively take part in their child's learning
- to develop positive attitudes about the environment and our community
* Mobile Science - The Mobile Science Workshop is a 40 foot traveling science lab with satellite technology that visits schools, events and community organizations. The lab is equipped with all the tools and materials for a variety of science projects and activities:
- Chemical Reactions
- Light and Sound
- Solar Energy
Plan ahead for the Mobile Science Workshop. For reservations and fees call (559) 621-7718. Subjects: Life, Earth, Physics, Geology, Earth Science and Chemistry
* Informal Science Workshop at Granny's - The Informal Science Workshops at Granny Neighborhood Parks offer after school opportunities to "hang out with a purpose." Our carefully selected staff focus on developing basic educational skills. We have created a place where gender roles are shattered. The are no spectators, only active explorers.
Parents are stongly encouraged to drop in and participate in their children's learning.
Local schools can get involved with the informal science workshops by scheduling field trips.
* Life and Environmental Science - A grant-funded program that encourages the exploration and appreciation of our environment. Contact Sonya Force at (559) 621-2945 for more information, or mail your inquiries to:
Life and Environmental Science Office
1515 E. Divisadero
Fresno, CA 93721
* Family Science Night - At neighborhood schools, the students and parents particpate together and demonstrate their love of science by exploring through hands on activities.
COME JOIN US!
Fresno Community Science Workshop:
Granny's Neighborhood Park (drop-in programs)
2024 E. Pontiac Way
Fresno, CA 93726
Monday-Friday 2:00 pm to 6:30 pm
Saturdays 10:00 am to 4 pm
To enroll your son or daughter, please contact Manuel Hernandez at (559) 621-2945.
THANKS TO OUR MANY CO-SPONSORS:
- National Science Foundation
- California State University, San Francisco
- California State University, Fresno
- City College of San Francisco
- Fresno Unified School District
- Fresno Police Department
- Fresno City College
- California Department of Fish and Game
- Joel M. Murrilo, Attorney at Law
- Central Valley Science Project
- Watonville Environmental Science Workshop
- OptiStreams, Inc.