Fire Chief's Office
Message from Interim Fire Chief Kerri L. Donis
Kerri L. Donis
Interim Fire Chief
Thank you for visiting the Fresno Fire Department (FFD) website. As an 18 year veteran of the Fresno fire service, and having served the past 10 years as the 2nd in command, it is an honor to work for such an esteemed fire department and extraordinary community. Established in 1877, the FFD is one of the oldest fire departments in the United States.
Today, the department utilizes 292 sworn firefighting positions, 15 sworn non-safety, and 27 civilian positions for a total of 334 FFD members in 2012. The Mission of our Department is; “To protect, and put service above all else.” Our core values are teamwork, trust, and commitment. The proud men and women of the FFD take great pride in delivering a wide variety of services to California’s 5th largest city.
Currently, services are delivered through the six divisions within the department:
- Administration provides for policy administration, public and interagency relations, personnel and MOU administration, citywide emergency management, recruitment, testing, and workers compensation management.
- Business & Fiscal Services provides for budget and grant administration, financial planning, contract administration, accounts payable/receivable, and clerical support.
- Emergency Services provides emergency response in firefighting, EMS, hazmat, and urban search and rescue. In 2012, the department responded to a total of 35,649 emergency incidents, with 2,423 being fire calls, resulting in a total of over $16 million in fire loss. See Fire Suppression page for more detail.
- Training provides all hazards in-service and mandated training along with management of the emergency services communications system.
- Prevention and Investigation provides fire code enforcement, inspection services; issues fire permits, plan checks, fire investigations, background investigations, and internal affairs.
- Support Services provides logistics support, fire equipment and light vehicle maintenance and repairs, and maintenance of emergency back-up power systems.