Welcome to the website of the Office of Independent Review (OIR). The mission of the OIR is to strengthen community trust in the Fresno Police Department by providing neutral, third-party review of police policies, procedures, strategies and internal investigations.
The OIR works independently of the Fresno Police Department and provides the City’s leaders and the public with objective analysis of policing data, actions and outcomes.
This section provides details about the OIR and its work. We welcome input from members of the public and interested organizations. To contact our office, call (559) 621-8614 or email us
OIR Role and Responsibilities
The primary role of the Office of Independent Review (OIR) is to analyze complaints filed by citizens with the Police Department Internal Affairs Division to ensure they have been investigated fairly and thoroughly.
The work of the OIR is guided by the following principles:
- Integrity and Honesty;
- Participation of Stakeholders;
- Acceptance, Cooperation and Access;
- Obedience to Legal Constraints.
An essential tool used by the OIR for enhancing public trust is the audit of specific police department actions to determine if policies and procedures were followed appropriately
OIR audits are always performed after the Police Department completes its internal affairs investigation. OIR audits will include:
- Use of force investigations, including officer involved shootings;
- Death of any person while in police custody;
- Vehicle collisions during pursuits resulting in serious injury or death;
- Complaints involving alleged bias relating to gender, race, ethnicity, religion, age, sexual orientation, or disability..
Audits may also be conducted in the following cases:
- Other collisions during pursuits;
- Claims of retaliation against individuals filing complaints against police officers;
- Any other complaint relating to officer or department conduct.
Each OIR audit will focus on evaluating the adequacy, thoroughness, quality, and accuracy of the Police Department’s investigation report. The OIR also reviews Police Department Inquiry and Complaint logs, identifies and monitors trends within the Police Department, provides guidance to police officers and police managers when requested; and serves as an informational resource for the community.
Each year, the OIR produces a report on its work during the past 12 months, which will be posted on these pages. Other reports are posted here as well, including:
- Reviews of incidents on a quarterly basis on the OIR’s Review Log;
- Interim reports (mid-year);
- Annual reports.
Additionally, specific audit reports will be made available here after they have been completed, submitted, and cleared for public release.